For most homeowners, understanding the basics to roofing systems can be difficult because the roofing system is much more than just the shingles on the home. In the next section, we will look at what a roofing system is, the components that make up this system, and why regular inspections are important.
What Is a Roofing System?
The roofing system is the entire roofing section on your home. It includes:
- Roofing Shingles
- Gutters, Eaves, and Downspouts
- Attic Insulation
The entire system works together to ensure the roof functions properly and protects your home from the elements.
Definitions of Roofing System Components
Now that you understand what a roofing system is you probably want to know what each component means and its purpose.
- Rafters: The rafters are the framing of the roof on your home and form the foundation of the roofing system.
- Sheathing: The sheathing are the flat wood sheets that are nailed to the rafters and provide the basic foundation for installing roofing shingles.
- Flashing: The flashing are metal sheets used around chimneys, venting, and in valleys and help direct the flow of water off the roof, while also stopping it from getting under the shingles.
- Attic Insulation: Insulation can be installed onto the backside of sheathing as well as on top of the subfloor in between the upper floor of the home and the roofing system.
- Roofing Shingles: This is the top layer of the roofing system and primary protection against the elements. Underneath the shingles can be roofing paper, tar, and other layers of materials to help improve its protective abilities.
- Soffit: The soffit is the part of the roof that overhangs and connects the roof to the side of the house.
- Fascia: The fascia is the finished edges of the roofing system and are also where gutters and eaves are connected to the home.
- Venting: Venting is essential as it helps moisture escape from the attic and under the roof to protect the entire system from mold, mildew, and wood rot.
- Gutters, Eaves, and Downspouts: This part of the roofing system helps drain water off of the roof and away from the home. Not only do gutters, eaves and downspouts help protect the roof from excess moisture, but also stops water from draining into the ground near the foundation of the home.
As you can see, roofing shingles are not the only part of the roofing system that protects your home from the elements. As such, it is important to have your entire roofing system inspected periodically or anytime you notice damages to the roof. Inspections ensure the entire system is functioning correctly and helps discover minor issues before they turn into major problems.
For more information about roofing systems or to schedule an inspection for your home, please feel free to contact Logik Roofing at 1.866.840.2914 today.
“We are proud to be part of the GreenON Rebate Program, where you can earn up to $1,500 in rebates just for topping off your attic insulation! We provide roofing system and attic insulation services for homes in Oshawa, Durham, Markham, Toronto, Pickering, Brampton, Whitby, Cottage Country, Ajax, Mississauga, Oakville, North York, and the entire GTA!”