Did you know that your roof benefits when you have the proper amount of attic insulation installed? Some of the benefits your roof gains include:
- Increases the life of the roof shingles. Your shingles will last longer because there are not at risk of ice dams, and less extreme changes in temperatures.
- Helps prevent heat loss from the home. When you can prevent heat loss from the home through the attic, you can avoid problems with ice dams. Ice dams form when heat from underneath the shingles melts the snow. Then, at night when it is colder, the water refreezes and creates ice dams. The water could also runoff and form ice on the sides of the roof as it cools.
Ice dams can damage roof shingles because when water freezes, it expands. As such, shingles can pull away from the roof, leaving gaps where water could get into the attic and cause water damage to your home.
- Helps prevent damages to your gutters/eaves. When there is insufficient attic insulation, the roof deck is prone to extreme temperature changes that cause it to expand and contract. As a result of this expanding and contracting, it can cause gutters and eves to pull away from the roof deck and leave gaps that are perfect for forming ice dams.
- Helps prevent condensation between roof layers. There are several layers between the roof deck and the shingles. These layers are referred to as the interstitial layers. When warm air escapes from the home through the attic and meets cooler air from the outside, condensation can form in these layers. Condensation results in water moisture, which can damage the interstitial layers.
Other Benefits Your Home Gains from Proper Attic Insulation
Your roof is not the only part of your home that benefits from proper attic insulation. The other added benefits you can enjoy includes:
- Better temperature consistency throughout the home. Proper attic insulation keeps heated air indoors where it belongs. You will notice the rooms in your home feel more comfortable and consistent. In the summer months, you also benefit since air-conditioned air also stays inside to keep you cooler.
- Improves the lifespan of your heating and cooling system. You will notice your furnace and air conditioner will not have to run as often when your home has proper attic insulation. Since the system is not running as often or having to work as hard to keep the home heated or cooled, it places less wear and tear on the system, resulting in a longer lifespan.
- Reduces your heating and cooling energy costs. Better insulation translates to energy savings on your home’s heating and cooling costs.
If you are ready to start enjoying these benefits for your roof and your home, contact Logik Roofing at 905.424.7469. We also provide attic insulation services at Whitby, Ajax, Mississauga and Pickering. Schedule an appointment to find out how much attic insulation your home needs.