How to Increase the Value of Your Home before Selling It
If you are considering putting your single-family detached or semi-detached home up for sale, there are several different things you can do to help boost its value and potentially sell it for more. Many of these things are not that expensive. In some cases, not only will you recover your entire investment costs, but also could recover between 2 to 5 times what you initially paid!
- Top Off Your Attic Insulation:Most homes have insufficient attic insulation – even newer homes. This is because builders only install the minimum amount required by current building codes. Topping off your insulation will improve the energy efficiency of your home and increase its value.
- Improve Your Basement Insulation: Another are of the home that is under-insulated in your basement. Adding more insulation to the basement also improves its overall energy efficiency and increases its value.
- Have Your Basement Renovated: Finishing the basement or updating its look and appearance can increase the value of your home.
- Have a New Roof Installed: If you current roof is ten to fifteen years old, getting a new roof installed will increase your home’s value. For prospective buyers, they are willing to offer more when the home has a new roof since it means they won’t have to worry about this expense for quite some time.
- Install a New Garage Door: A new garage door can give your home a new look and at the same time, increase its value. Consider a garage door that is insulated for the best return on your investment.
- Install a New Front Door: A new front door also improves the curb value of your home. Many new doors are insulated better than those that are five or ten years old.
- Power Wash Vinyl Siding: If you have vinyl siding on the home, give it a good power washing to remove dust, dirt, and any mold or mildew to give it a fresh, like-new appearance.
- Paint Wood Siding: If you home has wood siding, giving it a fresh coat of paint will make it stand out and can increase your homes resale value.
- Power Wash the Driveway: If you driveway has stains, you can easily remove these and restore the look of the concrete. Just remember to reseal the concrete afterwards to improve its stain resistance and keep it looking great.
Tips for Choosing Which Improvement Project to Do
Ideally, you will want to do all of the above improvements to your home to help increase its value the most. However, if you have a set budget to work within, you will want to concentrate on those things that will provide the best returns.
You would definitely want to get a new roof installed if yours needs replacing. Otherwise, if your roof is in decent shape, then concentrate on improving the attic and basement insulation. Homes that are better insulated have lower energy costs, which translates to a potentially higher sales price.
To request a quote for a new roof, attic and basement insulation services or basement renovation services, please feel free to contact Logik Roofing at (905) 424-7469 today!