Fibreglass insulation normally comes in two different formats: Loose fibreglass insulation which is layered over the top of existing insulation or precut formed layers with a backing, typically made into rolls. Aside from helping maintain the desired indoor air temperatures, a secondary purpose of fibreglass insulation is acoustic sound dampening. This feature helps block out outdoor sounds from inside the home, while at the same time keep noise from inside the house from being heard outdoors.
In addition to these two great features other benefits of fibreglass insulation include:
- Greater Design Flexibility: It is easy to install larger amounts of fibreglass insulation in certain areas of the home to increase overall thermal protection and sound dampening, such as the attic.
- It Comes in a Wide Range of R-Values: Fibreglass insulation is available in different R-value ratings which range from R-8 to R-40. Ideally you want to use insulation with higher R-values for the best results.
- Fibreglass Insulation Does Not Settle: Rolled and loose fibreglass insulation will maintain its R-value as long as it has been properly installed. It should never be compressed as this causes a reduction in R-value.
- It Is Moisture Resistant: Unlike other types of insulation that can absorb water, fibreglass insulation does not absorb or hold water. If it gets wet, the insulation just needs to be fully dried out to restore its original R-value.
- It Is Fire Resistant: Since it is made from sand and glass, it is naturally fire resistant and does not require any addiction fire retardant treating.
- It Is Made from Recycled Materials: Most fibreglass insulation is made from 80% recycled glass. The other component to make fibreglass insulation, sand, is already a naturally occurring and renewable material.
Fibreglass insulation offers a wide range of benefits to help keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Plus, it is an eco-friendly and green building solution that is not expensive to use. After 80 years on the market, fibreglass insulation is still an excellent choice to insulate your home.
Here at Logik Roofing, we specialize in helping you improve the insulation in your home and increase its energy efficiency. Whether you want to add attic insulation or insulation to your basement, we can help. Feel free to contact us at (905) 424-7469 today for further details or to request a FREE quote!